Healthy Stuffed Artichokes
Stuffed artichokes are a signature menu item at every Italian restaurant, and they’re generally loaded with cheese, breadcrumbs and butter. Here is a lighter and healthier version of the classic.
4 whole artichokes
1 lemon, cut in half
1 cup whole wheat panko
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped parsley
½ cup Parmesan cheese
Preheat broiler. Cut bottom and top off artichokes. Remove outer more fibrous leaves from the choke. Using the cut side of the lemon, rub the cut sides of the artichoke. Place artichokes bottom side down in a pasta pot. Fill pot with 1” water. Place ½ lemon in pot and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer (aka steam) the artichokes until tender. Remove and allow to cool completely.
Combine panko, butter, olive oil, parsley and Parmesan cheese until it resemble a crumble. Stuff leaves of the artichoke evenly with the crumble. Broil until browned and crispy. Serve warm. To eat pull leaves out of the choke and eat the bottom of the leaves. When you reach the center, eat the heart in its entirety.
Here are 10 more artichoke recipes. For the full list check out Shape.com.
1. Steamed Artichokes. Remove top, bottom and outer leaves of the choke. Place in 1” of water and bring to a boil. Cover and steam until fork tender, about 25 minutes. Pull leaves from choke and eat bottom portion of leave until you reach the heart.
2. Artichoke Flatbread. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Drizzle whole-wheat tortilla with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Top with five chopped artichoke heats and ¼ cup Parmesan cheese. Bake until golden and bubbly.
3. Artichoke Salsa. Combine 1 cup chopped artichoke hearts with 1 chopped tomato, ½ chopped red onion, 1 diced jalapeno pepper and 1 minced gloves of garlic. Season with ½ teaspoon of salt.
4. Grilled Baby Artichokes. The smaller version is available during the spring and doesn’t involve the same prep. Preheat grill and split 5 baby artichokes lengthwise and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt. Grill both sides until charred and crispy. Remove and enjoy.
5. Artichoke Cream Cheese. Mix one cup low fat cheese with ½ cup chopped artichoke hearts.
6. Artichoke Stuffed Chicken Breasts. Butterfly two chicken breasts. Blend 1 cup artichoke hearts with 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt in food processor. Stuff breasts and fold over. Cook for 35 minutes in 350 degree oven or until internal temperature is 165 degrees F.
7. Braised Artichokes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a casserole dish toss juice of 1 lemon, ½ cup dry white wine, 1 cup sliced roasted red peppers, ½ cup smashed green olives and 5 artichokes hearts. Braise until tender.
8. Artichoke Pasta. Cook 1 pound whole-wheat pasta until al dente and toss with 1 cup artichoke hearts, ½ cup Parmesan cheese, and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
9. Artichoke Soup. Heat 1 quart of low sodium chicken stock. Blend with 2 cups artichoke hearts and season with salt and pepper.
10. Artichoke and Avocado Mash. Mash 1 avocado with 1 cup chopped artichoke hearts, season with salt and spread on whole-wheat toast.